(previously known as Assistant Dysphagia Practitioner Training – ADPT)
Dysphagia is: the medical term for swallowing difficulties. Some people with dysphagia have problems swallowing certain foods or liquids, while others cannot swallow at all.
Symptoms that can indicate Dysphagia include:
- weight loss / loss of appetite
- inability to clear food from the mouth or throat
- coughing when eating or drinking
- choking or coughing on food, liquids or saliva
- problems swallowing medication
- pain when swallowing
- discomfort in the chest or throat
- heartburn or reflux
- repeated chest infections
- loss of appetite
Course Recommended For
- This level 2 course is aimed at non-specialists working with individuals with eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties
- At this level, people will be involved in direct care, preparing oral intake and assisting in eating and providing fluids. Those working at this level may include parents, carers and healthcare assistants
- This workshop can be provided for groups of up to 14 people at your venue or view the courses we are running at our venue through the events link at the end of this page
- This course will provide the information required to support the knowledge element of the Eating, Drinking and Swallowing Competency Framework (EDSCF) at level 2 dysphagia practitioner.
- This course has practical elements to inform and build confidence in this area which will support the development of dysphagia competencies specific to the practitioners role.
- At level 2: practitioners should receive appropriate training to demonstrate knowledge, skills and competence as assessed by a more experienced dysphagia practitioner. This can be recorded in the EDSCF.
- Be aware of and able to refer to the EDSCF
- Be able to understand how the normal swallow works
- Be able to describe the signs and symptoms of dysphagia
- Be able to identify if a person is at risk of experiencing dysphagia
- Be able to understand the IDDSI Framework used in dysphagia
- Be able to follow guidelines set out in dysphagia management plans
- Be able to prepare foods and drinks accurately to IDDSI standards
- Be able to offer safe and appropriate food and drinks to a person with dysphagia
- Be able to understand the importance of oral hygiene and supporting mouth care
- Be able to identify professionals who can offer support for a person with dysphagia
- Be able to follow local policies for documenting actions and reporting information
This course will provide the information required to support the knowledge element of the Eating, Drinking and Swallowing Competency Framework (EDSCF) at level 2 dysphagia practitioner. Delegates are advised that they need to consolidate and maintain the skills developed on the course. Please consider having a method of support in place, prior to attending the course, for example supervision from a suitably trained and qualified Speech and Language Therapist.
There are short quizzes within the course and a final test at the end with an 80% pass rate.
Please note, for online courses, access to a microphone and webcam are mandatory and it is the participants responsibility to ensure the location is suitable for them to be switched on.
This course is taught by a speech and language therapist who is qualified in the management of dysphagia.
Eg(Training) Ltd only employ excellent therapists who are DBS checked on a regular basis. All our therapists are members of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT) and are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). In addition, where applicable, our therapists are members of the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP).
All of our therapists are insured through our own employers liability cover and have full professional indemnity cover.
When and Where
Training delivered online using the videoconferencing tool ‘Zoom’, you will need to sign up for the free package on Zoom, have a broadband internet connection and computer with web cam, microphone and speakers. Please contact us if you are unsure about this.
Training delivered at our training room in the Midlands includes free parking, ample training space for up to 25 people, break out room with toilet and kitchen facilities plus refreshments are provided. Full AV equipment is also available.
Training delivered at your venue for a group of people, please contact us to find out more.